Tuesday, February 26, 2008

FRAUD ALERT: Chase advertising checks

Chances are, you receive about a dozen of these every month: checks mysteriously written to you with a big "CASH ME NOW" look on them.

DON'T!

As the classic saying goes, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is." No one is writing you checks altruistically. They are all shady, scummy legal contracts that bind you into some form of monthly fee for a service you really don't need if you sign and cash the check. I don't understand why the government doesn't crack down on these, but I hope more and more people will see these checks and tear them up.

So why do I point out Chase?

As my bank and credit card backer, it has been great. I haven't had too many issues with them. But boy do they like to sell their logo to advertisers who send out these checks.

Initially, they were almost benign, coming with letter inserts about identity theft protection or the like. But recently, all I received was a check and the Chase logo on it. After looking more carefully, on the back of the check, in 10pt font, there is a legal contract stating that by signing, I would be signing up for some emergency credit card insurance in case something bad happens to me.

Shame on you Chase.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A word to the wise - I never cashed any check like that (even if it looked like it was from from chase) and my cc got charged by one of those companies anyway. Needless to say, I'll be switching back to 5/3 after this fraud is settled. I would suggest that people keep these bogus checks filed away in case its claimed by a scammer that they did cash them and enroll