Friday, January 9, 2009

Simple Math


What's happened with basic math skills in the US?

Recently, I have seen a number of obvious bad deals hocked by cashiers who truly believed they were a good deal.

For instance, I wanted to buy coffee for my house, so while I was at Dunkin' Donuts, I saw a sign that said, Buy 1lb, Get 1lb Free - $9.99.

I approached the counter to buy it. While the cashier was directing me toward the coffee area so I could pick the flavors, she says, "You know, we have another great offer. Buy 2lbs and Get 1lb Free."

I asked, "How much is that?"

She replies, "$16.99. Do you want it?"

I looked at her oddly, doing the calculation, 9.99/2 = about $5 each, and 16.99 / 3 = about $5.60 each, over and over and finally I just shook my head and bought 2 pounds after thinking a good minute about rather my math skills were really off.

Is this some devious ploy DD is trying to trick customers? I don't think so. I truly believe someone thought this would be a great promotion without thinking through the logic.

No comments: