Monday, July 21, 2008

Saving money making coffee

As I continue my journey to save money on everyday goods, I started digging around and found some starbucks beans that were unopened. I decided to make 10 cups of coffee and chill in the fridge. That should provide about 5 days worth of morning iced coffee.

The beans I originally bought for about $7 and they can probably make about 60-70 cups of coffee. Considering I had been paying $2.25 for a coffee from Dunkin Donuts, that's about $78.75 I wouldn't be spending, netting $71.75 in savings. However, the coffee machine and grinding equipment cost about $150.

So within two bags of coffee, I will have at the very least paid for all the equipment and beans and well on my way to savings.

Anyone else doing these little things to save money?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bring a bag lunch to work every day. Tonight I have class 5:30-10:00 and will bring dinner too. I noticed I'm the only one who brings food, and most people just buy vending machine snacks... they can add up quick and are usually pretty bad for you.

Making your own coffee is much more economical, especially after you get the bean/water ratio down and can make the "perfect" cup. :)

Anonymous said...

You've been doing the options trading since May... how's it working out?