Thursday, March 1, 2007

Why Do I Blog?

Stephanie over at Poorer Than You tagged me with the question "why do I blog?"

I read her reasons, and I discovered, we are pretty similar.

From a young age, I was always entrepreneurial. In 3rd and 4th grade, I bought all the desirable pencils from the school store and sold them to kids for a hefty profit. In middle school, I sold extra ketchup packages to kids, because our school rationed ketchup packages to discourage kids from bursting contents of each package in school hallways. But by high school, I was getting tired of my zany ideas. As I started looking for a new way to challenge myself, I found that writing and producing a newspaper was what I wanted to do.

I had started working in newspaper production (ie. newspaper design, not manufacturing paper) in 8th grade. I enjoyed it because of the creativity that was involved in placing stories on the page, very much like solving a new jigsaw puzzle every week. In 9th grade, I wanted to stick with the newspaper, and writing articles became a regular thing.

I continued my interest in newspapers in college, working up from a frequent news and opinion contributor, to managing editor. When I entered graduate school, I could no longer maintain grades and work the hectic schedule of a managing editor, so I quit newspaper altogether.

In the ensuing two years, I missed daily the opportunity newspaper gave me to be creative and express my thoughts to the world. I knew I wanted to do it again, but I did not know what to write about.

But as my graduation date and my entrance into the real world loomed closer, I realized I had new insights into a field that touches everyones lives: finance, and I wanted to be able to share my personal thoughts, triumphs, and failures with the world.

And along the way, if I could pick up that first million, all the better.

No comments: